PROLITE AUTOGLO
 
Blog

Suspected short circuit sets off major fire in metro hospital in Noida

Senior fire department officers said that the hospital did not have proper fire safety measures and a notice would be sent to the authorities. “The fire team found that the fire safety equipment was not functioning. A notice will be served to the hospital administration,” they said. “An audit has been ordered to check on the fire safety measures in all the hospital. Further action shall be taken accordingly,” said Aman Sharma, deputy director, fire department, Meerut zone.
 
A major fire broke out in the second floor of Metro Hospital in Noida Sector 12 on Thursday, 7th February in the morning, officials said, adding that no casualty was reported. As per reports, the blaze went up to the fourth floor. A short circuit was the most likely cause for the fire. Locals said that after the fire broke out, several people in the area helped the hospital staff vacate the premises till the fire department officials and the police arrived.
 
It took nearly two hours to safely rescue the patients, who were shifted to nearby hospitals, and other occupants. The District Magistrate has ordered a probe into the matter. “Prima facie, it seems that a short circuit led to the incident,” the police told newspersons.
 
A senior fire department official in Noida said that the fire broke out around 11.30 a.m. on the second floor of the hospital, following which 10 fire tenders were rushed to the spot.  “Initially, four fire tenders were rushed to the spot and when they reached the location, they found thick smoke coming out from the building. Six more fire tenders were called shortly,” said a senior fire department official.
 
He said special rescue teams were formed after it was found that around 60 patients had been stuck inside the building.  “Patients were rescued and rushed to nearby hospitals with the help of hospital staff and fire personnel,” said Purshottam Lal, Metro Hospital chairman.
 
As fire lifts in the hospital had stopped working and the staircases had also become inaccessible due to the smoke, the window panes had to be smashed to pull out the people trapped inside. The hospital used a dozen ambulances for the patients admitted on the fifth floor. The fire damaged instruments, furniture and accessories in the hospital. “The fire was doused around 2 p.m. The cause of the blaze is suspected to be a short circuit. There were no casualties,” said a fire official.
 
DISTRICT MAGISTRATE TAKES IT SERIOUSLY
 
District Magistrate B.N. Singh has set up an inquiry committee to probe the incident. “The inquiry committee will include senior police and administration officials who will submit a report in the next 15 days,” he said.
 
 “As I noticed the thick smoke, I parked my car and ran towards the hospital. The police had arrived by then and the patients were evacuated. I helped in evacuating three persons,” said eyewitness Vaibhav Mishra.
 
Senior fire department officers said that the hospital did not have proper fire safety measures and a notice will be sent to the authorities. “The fire team found that the fire safety equipment were not functioning. A notice will be served to the hospital administration,” they said. “An audit has been ordered to check on the fire safety measures in all the hospital. Further action shall be taken accordingly,” said Aman Sharma, deputy director, fire department, Meerut zone.