Who Can forget the horrible Levana suites hotel fire? The authorities ordered demolition of the hotel as safety protocols and other basic formalities were not complied with. But Lucknow was again in the news as another tragic fire accident made the news. Prabhat Sudhakar Datre, a customer who hails from Nasik lost his life when a gas leak in the hotel Best Biryani Restaurant where he had come to eat at around 9.30 pm on December 8th. Two other youths suffered critical burns in the accident. Anis Shaikh alias “Badshah” reportedly suffered 40% burns.
With improper safety and exigency protocols visible and evident in most eateries and business outlets, such horrible deaths and pain become almost inevitable. The government is getting tough on construction companies who do not follow even the basics of the National Building Code both at pre-construction and post-construction stages. The installation of emergency lighting, photoluminescent signages help easy escape in fire accidents or blackouts where people need quick exit options in a moment’s notice when accidents happen suddenly. More and more institutions are now realising and recalibrating safety protocols but the pace is far too slow.