40 people were killed in a fire last Monday (March 27) in one of the deadliest migrant tragedies in years.
The gory incident is being billed one of the deadliest migrant tragedies in years. Mexican prosecutors now say they are investigating the fire as a possible homicide and even arrested five people in connection with the tragic incident.
“Mexican prosecutors say they are investigating the fire as a possible homicide and arrested five people last week in connection with the incident. The probe is focusing on why the male migrants held at the centre appeared to be left in their cell while the fire burned, while women detainees were safely evacuated from a neighbouring cell,” said a report.
Caraballo, a Venezuelan migrant, said he survived by soaking his sweater in water, covering his face, and moving to the bathroom at the back of the cell. As the fire started, all the lights went out, he recalled.
"When I saw everything begin to fill with smoke, I worried a lot about my family," he said. "My God, don't let me die." The last thing he remembers was the desperate screams, and how, someone finally bashed open the door of the cell using a "heavy object".
"They pulled me by the hand, I think it was a firefighter, and they helped me out, others were already dead," he said, crying.