The month of August opened to another grisly fire accident in a hospital in Jabalpur. At least eight people, including four patients, were killed and five others suffered injuries after a fire broke out at a hospital in Madhya Pradesh’s Jabalpur on Monday. Some news portals put the figure at 10, but be that what it is, the trend of hospital fires continue and that should be a major worry factor.
“It appears that when the hospital authorities switched on the generator after a power outage, there was voltage fluctuation which resulted in sparks and caused the fire,” Fire officer Kushagra Thakur said.
The question to ask is why was there a need to switch on a generator? It is mandatory as per NBC to install emergency lighting and photoluminescent exigency signages in all enclosed spaces. Precious lives could have been saved if the hospital had complied because emergency lights would come on as soon as the power failed and there would be no need to start the generator in the first place. But this is the story not just of hospitals but also malls, high rises and what have you. Nobody actually cares for NBC. Sad indeed.